February 11, 2015

Exploring Winter Park and the Morse Museum of American Art

A few weeks ago I crossed numbers 36 and 65 of the 100 things to do in Orlando off my list when I visited the Morse Museum of American Art and Winter Park's Central Park.


The Morse Museum is best known for it's collection of jewelry, pottery, lamps, art glass, and windows by Louis Comfort Tiffany. I'll be honest and admit that I had no idea this Mr. Tiffany was the Tiffany & Co Mr. Tiffany. I'm not much of a modern Tiffany jewelry fan (I prefer quirky jewelry like arrowhead necklaces and rings made of keys), but after seeing the Morse's collection I really came to admire his glass work.

What truly blew me away was the chapel interior from the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition. When you walk into its gallery the chapel doors are offset from the wall so that you walk behind them to enter the space. It's quite dramatic, but also very appropriate for what you'll see inside. It's very dim and as my eyes adjusted I noticed more and more. I'm rarely made speechless, but I stood in the middle of the room and silently pointed at everything I took in with wide eyes. It's magnificent and, if you live in or around Orlando, you must go see it.

The museum also houses American pottery, art, and a fantastic collection of Art Nouveau pieces. It's not huge, but if you take your time and read everything, you could spend 2-3 hours going through the galleries and museum shop. It's a rare treat to have something like this in your own backyard and I'm ashamed I never ponied up the $1 (hey student discount!) to go see it before. If you didn't hold on to your student ID, never fear, as anyone else can get in for just $5.




Prior to visiting the Morse, we walked down Park Avenue to visit Central Park. The Park Ave section of Winter Park has some fantastic Art Nouveau signs and decor. Central Park itself is a grassy area with fountains, benches, and the new Winter Park SunRail Station. I've since discovered that the park partners with the Enzian to produce Popcorn Flicks, a free movie event that happens once a month. Sounds like a cute date night idea to me!




Next up on my museums to visit list: Cornell Fine Arts at Rollins College, Albin Polasek Museum & Gardens, and the Orlando Museum of Art. If you follow me on Instagram, you know I've been to all three recently! Post coming soon. :)

1 comment :

  1. CocktailsandcatwalkMarch 12, 2015 at 12:37 PM

    love the detailed write-up!

    ReplyDelete