July 19, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday // Ten Books Set Outside the U.S.


This is an excellent list for me because there are a few foreign settings I’m enthralled with. I’ll read just about anything that is set in the Middle East, China, or in Europe during WWII. I enjoy these types of books in both fiction and non-fiction, YA and adult. I cheated on a few of these and left multiple books by the same author. I will read anything by Khaled Hosseini or Lisa See!

1. Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez
2. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
3. The Kite Runner; A Thousand Splendid Suns; And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
4. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan; Peony in Love by Lisa See
5. Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok
6. The Young Elites by Marie Lu
7. Prisoner of Tehran by Marina Nemat
8. Night by Elie Wiesel
9. Sold by Patricia McCormick
10. Princess: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia by Jean Sasson

Thinking about books set outside the U.S. had my mind wandering to travel and all the places I’d like to visit. Here are my top ten travel destinations (in no particular order):

1. Rome/Pompeii
2. London
3. Egypt (Cairo, Abu Simbel, Luxor...anywhere with ruins)
4. Hawaii
5. Pacific Northwest (Portland, Seattle, Tacoma) and Alaska
6. Greece
7. Bangkok, Thailand
8. Sydney, Australia
9. Reykjavik, Iceland
10. Nova Scotia/Newfoundland

I'm linking up with The Broke and the Bookish for Top Ten Tuesday. This is a new (to me) feature I'm going to start participating in when the list topic speaks to me. :)

4 comments :

  1. I think I probably read 2 books set outside of the USA so we did something different this week.
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of these, but The Young Elites is on my TBR.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/07/19/top-ten-tuesday-66/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you've included a list of places - I would love to visit Rome and Pompeii.

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that your list of places you'd like to visit, but when you're in the Pacific Northwest, don't forget British Columbia. It's WAY more beautiful than either Oregon or Washington! Full disclosure: I'm from BC. ;-) My TTT.

    ReplyDelete