August 23, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Books on Your TBR

This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic is 10 books that have been on your TBR (to be read) list for a long time.

I had two Ikea Billy bookcases full of books before we moved to Charleston. Like, stupidly packed to the brim full. I knew I couldn't take all of them with me, so I spent an afternoon culling my cases. A bunch got donated and even more were given to friends (mostly to my best friend, who also loves to read). Now everything fits in one case (for now!), which is nice because S gets to use the other shelves for his books and some mementos.

Two of the shelves in my bookcase. I organize my books alphabetically by the author's last name. Former bookstore employee habit!

Which books have been sitting unread on my shelves the longest?

1. Bossypants by Tina Fey
My mom gave me this a few Christmases ago and I've never gotten through it. I think I started it and then put it down. This is one of those books everyone has borrowed from me, but I've never finished myself.

2. The Maze Runner by James Dashner
I picked up The Maze Runner after reading The Hunger Games (the books that got me into YA) years ago and then never read it because I loved THG so much and TMR sounds kinda like it? That's some shoddy logic.

3. Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
I'm not even sure this is a book I'd like, but I thrifted it and it's a Franzen so I've hung onto it for those reasons.

4. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
I know for a fact I'm going to love this book and I've no idea why I've not read it yet.  I love fiction based around African American history. Shame on me.

5. Out of Oz by Gregory Maguire
This one is a constant surprise for me because I'm such a huge fan of Maguire's Wicked. Like, 'one of my favorite books ever' sort of fan. I read need to get on it and read this one.

6. The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve
I'll read anything Oprah puts on on her book club list and this is one of those selections. Except I haven't read it yet. The plot seems so heartbreaking, but this is kind of a contemporary classic I know I need to read.

7. Shanghai Girls by Lisa See
I've literally read all of Lisa See's other books, but not this one. I thrifted this, too. It's missing it's dust jacket, but I promise that's obviously not the reason I've not read it. Or maybe it is? I'm a very visual person, so maybe the more "boring" spine doesn't jump out at me when I'm picking books.

8. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
This is another YA I've had for years and not read.

9. The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan
I'm running out of excuses. I don't even know at this point. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10. A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton
Another of Oprah's picks that I've not read and yet another I know I'll like. Historical fiction is my jam.

Well, now I feel like a book loser. Haha. I think my at-home TBR is no biggie to me because those books aren't going anywhere. I own them and they live on their shelves. I thrift lots of books and find it's a cheap way to hunt for titles that have been on my Goodreads TBR without breaking the bank.

I'm linking up with The Broke and the Bookish for Top Ten Tuesday. Go take a look at the other participants' weekly lists!

4 comments :

  1. THE BOOKTHIEF!!!!! Admittedly, I didn't expect that book to be as good as it is...but it is! Their Eyes Were Watching God is also such a great novel with amazing insight. Good luck!

    http://decoratethesoul.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shanghai Girls is so good, I definitely recommend it! I really need to get around to Amy Tan's The Bonesetter's Daughter, too. Hope you get to read all of these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their Eyes Were Watching God is amazing. I read it in school and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should definitely read The Book Thief soon!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/08/23/top-ten-tuesday-71/

    ReplyDelete