August 31, 2016

What I'm Into // August

Read and Reading


  • Prisoner B-3087 by Alan Gratz (4/5)
  • Scarlett Epstein Hates It Here by Anna Breslaw (4/5)
  • Cinder by Marissa Meyer (5/5)
  • Legend by Marie Lu (currently reading)
  • Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard (currently listening to)
I have reviews of these books coming up soon! You can also see what I've read each month here.

What I Watched 
  • Criminal Minds, Season 8 - My heart crushed for Dr. Reed this season. :( I'm already a good way into season 9. 
  • Worst Cooks in America - There are two seasons of WCiA on Netflix with Ann Burrell and Bobby Fly as the mentors/judges. This was a really fun show to watch! 
  • Next Food Network Star - Just like Worst Cooks, there are two seasons of FN Star on Netflix. S and I enjoy watching these shows over dinner to unwind from our work days. 
  • Beat Bobby Flay - This is a fun show! S and I tried to watch Guy's Grocery Games, but it was pretty boring. BBF has the excitement of the other Food Network shows we like, as well as the same high profile chef judges.

Things I Added to My Life List
  • Visit New Zealand
  • Take a photo booth picture
  • Spend NYE somewhere fun
You can see all of the things on my life list here.

What I Did 
  • I met up with some ladies whose significant others are also residents for dinner one night. It was fun to converse and see where everyone else was at with the path through residency. It's a pretty unique thing to be going through and not many other people can understand what it's like to be a resident's SO.
  • The International Geek Girls Pen Pal Club hosted a swap with the theme "summer camp." I sent my partner a box with comic books, a coloring book, a HP mystery Funko, birthday cake popcorn, and some other goodies. She sent me lots of fun candy and snacks, a Dementor Funko (to represent camp ghost stories!), postcards, some handmade HP items, and other camp-related things.
  • S and I visited the Angel Oak tree. It's on the same island we live on, so it was a neat little detour on our way home one weekend. The branches are so long and huge!
  • I also got back into thrifting, one of my long-time hobbies. Before we moved I hadn't thrifted in months. There are a plethora of good stores around me and I've found some awesome stuff. I've toyed with the idea of posting my finds - would anyone be interested in reading posts about thrifting?

Getting Personal
  • August was an extremely hard month for me. I did something that took a lot of courage and a lot of soul searching: I admitted that I've been suffering from deep depression for many, many years and sought help for it. I'm what my therapist calls a "pusher-downer." I shove everything into the depths and it makes me appear to be a fully-functional human being. But that's very much an illusion I've become skilled at projecting so no one, not even those closest to me, knows what I'm dealing with inside. This month, something snapped in me and I realized I couldn't live like this any longer. I told my loved ones about my depression and began seeing a therapist. I'm ready to do the things I need to do to take care of myself and recover from years of emotional and mental damage. 

Favorite Instagrams 


  • Even on my hardest days Ella always cheers me up. I come home and sit with her on the floor and we hug and she gives me kisses until my face is raw. I'm lucky to have such a happy, loving pup to come home to every day.

What I Blogged (Favorite August Posts)
  • Empties // 01 - I shared my thoughts on some finished beauty products.
  • Smile Lines - My reaction to finding my first wrinkles



Click the button to visit Leigh's blog and see her What I'm Into post!

No comments :

Post a Comment